Importance of Education is something on which any man can talk about endlessly but only few have actually understood and acted in the way one should have to handle the Global Issue of Illiteracy ,especially for the needy ones The Govt. has 2 flagship programs for education : Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) and Right to Education (RTE). Here are some of the alarming stats (Courtesy: Times of India ).
- Mean years of schooling in India is 4.4 years ( China 7.5 years)
- %GDP spent on Public education is down to 3.8% in 2008-09 compared to 4.3% in 2000-01 whereas Cuba has 18.7% which is highest.
- Only 21000cr INR have been received by RTE for 2011 out of sanctioned 48000cr.
- Of 7.5 lakh candidates who appeared for CBSE's all-India teacher recruitment test , only 93,000 passed
- NGO Parham’s Annual Status of Education Report (Aser) shows that nearly 47% Class V students cannot read Class II texts, while over 63% of Class III students cannot subtract
- India has a shortage of 1.5 million teachers.